Women in Tech
WIT 2018 Scholars at GHCI 2018, Asia's Largest Women in Tech Conference
Rethink's WIT Program is a 4 week online learning experience for female engineering students to develop 21C skills and equip them to leverage Professional Development Opportunities.
What counts are Professional Development Opportunities?
Any opportunity that equips an individual with professional development credentials or competence is a PDO. Our definition of PDO falls broadly into 3 buckets:
- Exposure scholarships
- Internships & Projects
To leverage and benefit from these Professional Development Opportunities in today's time, you must
- Set long term and short term career goals
- Discover opportunities that will help you accomplish your goals
- Build projects and hence your skills
- Connect with people who you can learn from
- Plan your learning process to attain your goals
But more importantly, to leverage professional development opportunities, you must possess
- Desire to do well in your career
- Willingness to put in the effort
- Self-efficacy: Your belief in your ability to achieve goals.
This is where our Learning Program comes in to facilitate information, guidance and support in equipping you with the necessary 21st century skills.
Which 21st century skills do we focus on?
- Information Literacy
- Learning how to learn
- Communication & Collaboration
- Personal Productivity
- Creativity & Critical Thinking
- Intelligently Interacting with Others
- Getting things done
- Civic Literacy
Our objectives with this program is to:
- Democratise Opportunities
- Equip you to become valuable contributors to the economy
- In-still in you, work ethic and the ability to figure it out on your own
If you are a female engineering student, this program is for you. The program has been curated based on the learning and insights from over 100 girls who have accomplished great opportunities.
It is going to be a 4-week hustle to improve your confidence and skills. You can expect to have super interactive, fun activities paired with peer-learning throughout the course. You will also receive access to the previous winners of scholarships, graduates of earlier cohorts of the WIT program and accomplished professionals.
It is mandatory that you have:
- Access to a laptop/desktop
- Access to reliable internet connection
- A telegram account
- A working email address
- Desire to do well in career and life
Our learning program will be conducted online. All our key communication will be facilitated over email and our discussions will happen on telegram and discourse, which is why it is imperative that you regularly check your email inbox and also have a telegram account.
Feel free to apply if,
- You’re interested in impacting your career outcomes
- You’re committed to your professional development
- You’re open and willing to share your learning and experiences
During the program, you will be expected to
- Actively participate in all discussions and activities.
- Maintain weekly TWTWs.
(TWTW stands for The Week That Was and is a summary of your learning and experiences through the week. Checkout some sample TWTWs here)
By the end of the program,
By the end of the program, you can expect to
- Be aware of the various opportunities
- Learn how you can discover and leverage them
- Improve your profile so you stand a better chance at securing them
- Craft your learning plan to start systematically working towards your goals.
Arya is a 2015 WeTech Qualcomm Global Scholar and a 2016 GHCI Scholar.
Since 2017, she has been leading the Opportunity Project at Rethink where she facilitates guidance and support to students and help them avail various opportunities at their disposal.
So far, the Opportunity Project has touched over 7000+ students who have collectively applied to opportunities worth INR 6 Crores and secured opportunities worth INR 1 Crore.
Timeline: WIT Cohort 2
Last date to Join - Feb 2, 2019, 11:59 PM (Sunday)
Pre-Program Activities - Feb 3, 2019
Program Begins - Feb 10, 2019
Program Ends - Feb 24, 2019
Note: Cohort 2 of the WIT Program is open only for learners who have successfully completed the WITx Learning Program.
As with every opportunity, we also have an application process. The purpose of this process is for us to know slightly more about you as a person and what your aspirations in life are.
Your application to the program happens in two stages:
1. You record your interest.
2. You fill the application form.
Stage 1 (Recording your interest) happens on Telegram. We use our Rethink Bot on telegram to create your profile with us and capture your interest in the program. Once you create your profile, you will receive a Profile Reference Number(PRN) along with the main application form. This is a number unique to you and will be asked for in the main application.
Stage 2 (You filling the main application) happens through a Google Form. After creating your profile, you get the link to the main application form. You can enter the PRN you receive when you create your profile with us and fill in the remaining application. Upon successful submission of the application, you'll receive a confirmation email from us.
Remember, if your PRN is invalid, your application submission will also be considered invalid.
How to set up your profile with us
Here is what you should do to set your profile and record your interest in Stage 1:
- Create an account on Telegram and Sign in.
- Find our Rethink Bot. You can search for @rethinkbot on Telegram or Click here to find the bot.
- Type /WIT.
- If your profile already exists with us, the bot will record your interest in the WIT program and will directly your PRN and application link.
- If your profile does not exist with us, the bot will prompt you to create your profile. After you create the profile, type /WIT once more to record your interest and receive your PRN as well application link.
- The bot might take a while to respond to your queries. Please be patient while you wait to create your profile.
- Using a random PRN or a PRN that belongs to someone else will make your application invalid.
Help and Support
We have a telegram group created for you to quickly clarify your queries. Upon recording your interest with us by typing /WIT in the bot, you will also receive the link to join our group. You can click on the link to join the group and ask away your queries there. We will be available in the group from 6 PM to 7 PM to answer your queries.
You may also email your queries and clarifications to v@r (email@example.com).
The story so far
Rethink has been assisting students and particularly female engineering students in making use of various opportunities available to them for over 18 months. In 2017, we started with providing awareness and guidance to over 1200 girls in applying to the GHCI Student Scholarship. Of the 200 smart girls that were finally selected, 42 were from Kerala.
We went on to providing guidance for various such opportunities and as on date have touched over 5000 girls across Kerala. Collectively, these girls have applied to opportunities worth INR 6 Crores and have secured opportunities worth INR 18 Lakhs.
Here's what our previous participants have had to say: